Browser-level device detection and theme switching. Compatible with all caching layers.
The chief purpose of this plugin is to allow functionality similar to Device Theme Switcher, but without requiring the use of any serverside logic. This allows the plugin to function where others would fail, i.e. in server setups with complex caching mechanisms sitting in front of Wordpress like a Varnish layer or WPEngine's EverCache.
A selectable state persistence mechanism also features, to allow for mobile theme state to be passed by URL or other methods for greater compatibility with complicated caching layers:
- Domain redirection mode: serving your mobile sites over a separate domain results in totally separate URL paths and distinct caches for all versions of the same page.
- Querystring mode: appending GET parameters to a URL results in a separate HTML cache for mobile versions of pages, and prevents caching layers becoming confused between desktop and mobile versions of the same page.
- Cookie mode: handling the site's appearance via cookies is appropriate when no HTML page caching mechanisms are in place since there is nothing present in the URL to differentiate content.
Theme coding considerations:
- Avoid any hardcoding of URL paths, use the permalink template methods wherever possible.
- To create links between different versions of the site, use the helper methods
JSMobileThemeSwitcher::translateToMobileURL()to wrap output of normal links.
- In querystring persistence mode,
site_url()are not filtered to keep visitors within the active site. You will have to write code like
JSMobileThemeSwitcher::translateToMobileURL(home_url('/'))around these methods. All other standard visible content is filtered to adjust link paths as required: you can see what is automatically handled in