Recently I had to go about setting up my own configurations for Webalizer. Grouping user-agents into meaningful sections seemed a worthwhile cause, so I ran through the mobile user-agent string list and setup matches for mobile devices on top of some of the more straightforward ones for desktop. The result is a pretty clean config that handles (in my experience) about 90% of my incoming traffic. I've also tried to provide a little bit of forward-planning for version numbers on some of the browsers which now update their major version almost daily (curse you, chrome), but you should plan to keep that aspect up to date yourself. (more)
Whilst they offer some great free services (edit: Google Apps is now only offered on paid subscriptions, even under the previous 5 user cap. But if you got in beforehand, you do get to keep it for free...), Google's products with their user-friendly interfaces can occaisonally be confusing for those of us who know what we're doing - a whole new set of terminology to learn just to be able to do what you had previously learned in the 'normal' / 'homebrew' / whatever way.
This is a quick cheatsheet on how to achieve some of the fundamental and more advanced mail behaviours and operations that you'd expect from any mailserver via your Google Apps admin console. (more)
Its simple JSON structure and savviness of the community has thus far kept any kind of introductory documentation from cropping up, instead one must simply read through the spec and digest it for themselves. Since this is a time-consuming process, I did up a quick cheatsheet of the properties involved in schema declarations so that once one understands the basic principle you don't have to go back and check for what the name of something was repeatedly. (more)
Generally, I take it upon myself to push git onto other developers wherever I go. It is a wonderous, joyful world where your work is never impeded by a network connection and everything is far more powerful and flexible. Often you hear "why would I ever want to move away from Subversion?", which is a bit like saying "why would I ever want to stop riding a horse to work", but that's a topic for another post. This page is a first-stop manual for those new to working in teams or working with git, and lays out some good practises you'll probably want to follow early on until you become a more advanced user. (more)
Sometime recently I wanted to make some sweet-ass parallax stuff. Fun times would be had, but what a lot of effort it was going to be.
There were several great solutions out there, and I eventually decided upon jparallax as being the most complete. However, that still didn't allow me the flexibility I wanted - I needed to be able to do more than just move elements, I wanted to stretch parts of my parallax to achieve faux-sideon perspective. And then I started thinking about other things you could do, and decided the best way to approach such an engine would be to allow modification to any css property and decide what effects were workable later.
It's no understatement to say that this website has fallen largely into disuse over the years. I aim to fix this; and to start it's high time we got our server infrastructure sorted out.
We're now serving all our content from a Rackspace virtual host, which means we have complete control over what it can and can't do. We no longer need to make halfassed compromises with server constraints and serve annoyingly awkward websites with no reliable database backend. Hooray! (more)
On the theme of things which I am shocked have not already been created, I lately took it upon myself to write an application for automatically fixing Microsoft "Smart Quotes". This utility sits in your system tray and replaces these troublesome characters (‘ ” … etc) with a more web-appropriate version before they get anywhere near your webpages.
It is configurable in various ways and should be an invaluable timesaver for any publisher, copywriter, web developer or person working with internet content. More information can be found here.
Which is to say, it will behave properly no matter what browser you are in, and no matter whether you have normal text on the page selected or some input inside a text field highlighted. I found it odd that there was nothing like this out there, so here it is (: